How do I convert my videos to play on Apple TV and iTunes
By: Leo D'Adderio
Date Submitted: 2009-11-05
The following is the process required to make sure that your videos on your computer are iTunes and Apple TV compatiable.
You will need to make sure tha tyou have the latest iTunes 9.0.2 and you have to download Handbrake for PC to convert files to be Apple compatible.
Also, make sure that your videos are one of the following formats: .avi, .mpg, .wmv or .xvid. Any other format is going to give you problems when it comes to converting over to an Apple playable format.
Once handbrake is installed and you have your appropriate files, the rest is simply converting over to a playable format
- Start Handbrake
- Select your file you want to convert, by choosing Source -> Video File.
- Select a destination folder where you want to save yoru file and give it a name, by clicking the Browse button.
- For file format, select .m4v
- Now on the right hand side, where it says presents, make sure you select Universal under Apple.
- Click on the Add to Queue button. Once the Queue window opens, click on the Encode button and the conversion should take place automatically.
- Once the whole conversion is complete, simply double click on the converted video as it will be automatically added to your iTunes your library.
- Lastly, your Apple TV will have to sync libraries in order to play a movie on its own hardware. Otherwise, you should be ready to play movies after that on your wide screen.